Sunday, October 25, 2009

Cancer and Great Lives

For the past few years I have been seeing or hearing of cancer cases in friends families. All that I learnt about cancer was a painful experience, chemotherapy, losing hair, thinning body and finally death. During childhood days, the cancer was primarily a cinema plot element.



Some friends' parents losing their lives.I am sure for the future generation, they would certainly will have a scientific solution for cancer. Recent days Cyberknife as a new technology (Robotic Radio Surgery system) is known to be available in Bangalore. I hope there are free services for the poor.



Today morning, I was reading Jiddu Krishnamurthy's biography (The book I have is this).

He was one of the greatest philosophers of the century who died of cancer. My spiritual guru Bhagawan Ramana Maharishi too died of cancer. I was wondering if there is something that can be attributed to great personalities and cancer?



I asked myself. I asked the internet God - Google.  I came across this website: http://www.katinkahesselink.net/other/shearman14.html



A question which is sometimes asked about the occurrence of cancer is why cancer seems so often to attack people of outstanding and saintly character and exceptional wisdom. The cases of Sri Ramakrishna, Ramana Maharshi or J. Krishnamurti, and many others, are cited. The thought that comes to mind is that these were people who were nearing the end of a phase of human life and were soon to enter upon a higher quality of existence. A new adjustment of forces had to be made and a final "balancing of the books" had to take place before they were liberated into a higher and more completely fulfilling quality of living. A "dweller on the threshold" had finally to be met at that particular entrance into a new life.

It seems reasonable to imagine that as advanced individuals move on into the next stage of evolution, and the interplay between individual personal self and the greater Self achieves effective harmony, and duality yields to unity, then the sort of adjustment that finds its expression in cancer will no longer be necessary.

Not really answering my query...but I have something to ponder about.



No comments:

Post a Comment