Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Your New Year Resolutions May Fail



By now, you may be thinking of starting something new for the new year - like starting an exercise, stop smoking, learn new hobby, some financial goals etc.  Good news is that some may be easy to do - because you would have already signed up, or have enough resources. But certain resolutions like stopping smoking habits, early morning rising, doing the exercise everyday are sure to fail : Especially if these resolutions are being made on 30th or 31st of this month. The reason is just simple: they are being taken out of a spurt. The secret to sticking to those resolutions having enough why's. Have enough compelling reasons on why do you want this. Saying "I am going to stop smoking from Jan 1st".  Come on, why not, baby, today? 



Ask yourself the why's



* Why do I want to stop smoking?  because I want to break the habit

* Why do I want to break?  because I want to live healthy

* Why do I want to live healthy? because I have a family who depends on me; I want to be there for my family. because I have seen several friends dying of cancer due to smoking leaving their family unsupported. because body is my temple and I want to regard it as a spiritual entity; because I have several duties to my family, friends, the community, the society and my country; because I want to be a role model for the younger generation; because I do not want to be a victim of my old habits; because smoking habits affects my nervous system; because I spends hundreds and hundreds in smoking (and associated drinking)...





If these why's give you the answers why do you want to move towards something or move away from something, you are certain to make or break the habit.



To make life more interesting and meaningful, cover all aspects of life and have upto six goals. You can have one goal for Yourself, Family, Career, Fun and Recreation, Society, Spirituality etc.



A popular blogger Leo Babuta has started a site 6changes.com which has very useful guidelines on changing habits.



Also, you may want to visit Tony Robbins blog, or read his book "Awaken The Giant Within". The Awaken the Giant Within book has a dedicated chapter on creating compelling future.





Check yourself on Jan 10th, if you are sticking to your resolutions.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment