Saturday, December 29, 2012

Affordable and Comfortable Health Care

Dad sometimes get some health issues and I take him to the nearby Urologist. After thorough checkup, doctor dismisses all our fears and recommends some tablets to improve health. My dad returns home with a sense of relief and hope of recovery.

Today, I took my wife to the diagnostic centre for scanning and check up as she is carrying our second baby. Many parents were also waiting patiently for the doctor.  The doctor turned up little late and gave good attention to all her visitors. My wife returns home very satisfied and confident.

There is another family doctor who makes us very comfortable.

I wish such a health care, affordable and comfortable health care be available to the poor and less privileged too. The poor, not able to cope up with modernization, has gone into a  hybrid lifestyle.  There is little money the poor can save.  There is very less knowledge on their health. I knew somebody who survives on beedi and tea alone!  Fever and cold are very trivial these days that people get into self-medication.  But if a poor gets a heart ache, kidney failure, or any other vital functioning failure?  Can a to-be-mom will get all the support and motivation from a doctor that our household women folks get?  Can a clerk afford a psychologist for his mental stress?

We often read the plight of Govt. Hospitals in the media and we have seen.  The rich and popular do not go there - they visit Apollo's and Ramachandra's.

We need a system where both health care is made affordable (damn cheaper) and comfortable (positive psychology).

I write this because a sense of guilt hits me when I see someone could not afford a treatment and struggle in pain.  

No comments:

Post a Comment